Hello Learners, welcome to another English Grammar lesson, in this lesson I am going to discuss What is Article in English grammar, also I will discuss the Rules of Article omission with suitable examples, and also too download the PDF of this lesson please find the PDF downloadable link below of this article.
Table of Contents
- Definition of Article:
- Types of Article:
- Rules of Article Omission:
- A Must-Watch Video Lesson on Article:
- Exercise on Article:
- References [External Links]:
Definition of Article:
Basically, an article is an adjective. Like adjective articles modify nouns.
There are two articles in English- The and A/An. ‘The’ is used to refer to specific or particular nouns, and ‘a/an’ is used to modify no specific nouns. We call ‘The’ definite article and ‘A/An’ the indefinite article.
For example, if I say, “Let’s read the book, “I mean a specific book. If I say, “let’s read a book” then I mean any book rather than a specific book.
Let’s look at each type of article a little more closely and Find out what is an article exactly.
TAKE A LOOK AT THIS INFOGRAPHIC:
Types of Article:
There are two types of article. And those are:
- Indefinite article.
- Definite article.
‘A’ and ‘An’ are indefinite article.
‘A’ and ‘An’ signal that the noun modified is indefinite, referring to any number of a group. For example,
- “My daughter really wants a dog for Christmas”. This refers to any dog. We don’t know which dog because we haven’t found the dog yet.
- “When I was at the zoo, I saw an elephant?” There are probably several elephants at the zoo, but there is only one, we are talking about here.
Remember one thing, using ‘a’ or ‘an’ depends on the sound that begins the next word. So…
- ‘A’ + Singular noun is beginning with a consonant.
For example, A zoo, A car, A bus, A bike, A tree.
- ‘An’ + Singular noun beginning with a vowel [External Link].
For example, An elephant, An egg, An orphan.
- ‘A’ + Singular noun beginning with a consonant sound. A user (sounds like yoo-zer, begins with a consonant ‘y’ sound, so ‘a’ is used), for example, a university, a school, a bicycle.
- ‘An’ + nouns starting with silent ‘h’, for example, an hour.
- ‘A ‘+ nouns starting with a pronounced ‘h’, for example, a horse.
- Another case where this rule applies is when acronyms start with consonant [External Link] letters but have vowel sounds.
For example, An MSDS (material safety data sheet) was used to record data.
- If the noun is modified by an adjective, the choice between ‘a’ and ‘an’ depends on the initial sound of the adjective that immediately follows the article.
For example, A broken egg, An unusual problem.
- Remember, that in English, indefinite articles are used to indicate membership in a group.
I am a student (Here I am a member of a large group known as teachers).
John is an Englishman (Here John is a member of the people known as English).
‘The’ is definite article.
The definite article is used before singular and plural nouns when the noun is specific.
- The dog that bit me ran away.
Here, we are talking about a specific dog, the dog that bit me.
- I saw the elephant at the zoo.
Here, we talking about a specific noun. Probably there is only one elephant at the zoo.
- The can be used with non-count nouns.
I love to sail over the water. (Some specific body of water)
- A/an can be used only with count nouns.
I need a bottle of water.
- Omit the before:
- Name of rivers.
- Points on the globe like the Equator, the North Pole.
- Geographical areas like The West.
Rules of Article Omission:
The omission of articles.
The article “A, An, The” are omitted.
- Before a Proper noun. for example, Delhi is the capital of India, Shakespeare was the greatest dramatist.
- Before names of material.
- Silver is a useful metal.
- The tea of Assam is very famous (particular tea).
- Before common noun used in its wide sense.
- Man is Mortal, god is omnipresent, but we say the devil.
- Before abstract nouns as qualities feelings and States used in general science.
- love is a natural feeling,truthis a noble quality.
*Note- but we can say for example.
- The honesty of my brother is beyond any doubt.
- She always tells a lie.
- Suman always speaks the truth.
- Before a noun complement( appoint, make, select, etc).
- The committee appointed him captain.
- They elected him president.
- Before collective nouns in general science.
- life is complex.
- society does not allow this.
- Before languages.
- Arabic is a difficult language.
- He knows Spanish very well.
- Before school college home Church temples work bed table Hospital market prison Court when their purpose is thought of rather than the actual building or place.
- we go to temple on Monday( for prayer).
- He went to sea in his early youth( as a sailor).
- I go to bed early( to sleep).
- Before hobbies professions and sports.
- Painting is her profession.
- Gardening is his hobby.
- Before names of disease.
- Cancer is a deadly disease.
- AIDS is spreading like Wildfire.
But we can say the measles, the mumps,the rickets, and the plague, etc
- In certain phrases.
- To lose heart.
- To give ear.
- At sunrise.
- At home.
- In hand.
- By name.
- At last.
- To set foot.
A Must-Watch Video Lesson on Article:
Exercise on Article:
You can use this as a Worksheet for school or college.
I mentioned the answers to the below Questions at the bottom of the page. Let’s try your own first then correct the answer I mentioned.
- _____ boy
- _____ Universal problem
- _____ unique book
- _____ University student
- _____ elephant
- _____ hourly visit
- _____ honourable person
- For _____ swim
- Have _____ taste
- Make _____ noise
- _____ orange
- _____ horse
- _____ Greeks
- _____ Indians
- _____ judiciary
- _____ legislature
- In _____ air
- _____ benefit of _____ doubt
- Feel _____ shame
- For _____ drive
- Half _____dozen
- What is not _____ child
- _____ ass
- _____ few students that were in _____ class where sitting idle
- 12-inch make _____ foot
- _____ beggar cannot be _____ chooser
- _____ center of _____ market
- _____ whole class was absent
- _____ son should be obedient
- _ mango is a sweet fruit
- Netaji was _____ leader
- He is _____ man for this job
- She can play _____ flute
- Truth is _____ noble quality
- _____ Prime Minister and _ president are visiting _____ town today
- _____ first and second chapters are very difficult
- _____ rose is a sweet flower
- _____ Himalayas are to _____ north of India
- There are many waterways in _____ Ireland
- One day I will climb all _____ Mount in_____ Himalayas
- I wish I were good at _____ mathematics
- what _ useful device _____ laptop is!
- There are many rain forests in _____ Amazon
- She works for _____ group who helped _ poor
- _____ World Health Organization will surely stop dengue
- I had _____ opportunity to do it
- He succeeds in doing _____ work
- This is _____ charming scenery
- She is _____ learned man
Tired of doing this don’t worry this fifty for next day
- The lion is called _____ king of beasts
- The injured were taken to _____ hospital
- They sent me _____ box
- I am reading _____ book
- They were calling _____ boys
- I am living here for _____ long time
- My father has died yesterday, he left me _____ large fortune
- He is flying _____ kite
- I like _____ fool to be punished
- She laughed _____ loud laugh
- It grows in _____ heavy gale (Gale means – a very strong wind)
- He is _____ honest man
- I have _____ umbrella
- He is _____ best man that I ever saw
- _____ Rajdhani Express is _ hour late today
- Kalidas is _____ Homer of India
- You must read _____ Gita every day
- Bravo, what _____ idea!
- I want _____ pen and _ umbrella
- We stopped for lunch in _____ small restaurant not far from _____ town. We took rest for _____ hour and then started for our destination
- Of all _____ boys in _____ class he is _____ best. He stood first in _____ last annual examination in scored _ record marks in mathematics. He is _____ good sportsman. And plays _ guitar well
- John is one of _____ best boys of our club. He has recently gone to _____ U.S. and buy _____ Air India flight ticket for higher studies.
- One day _____ English gentleman named Rowland Hill saw _____ postman take _____ letter up to _____ gate of _____ house. _ girl came out to receive it. _____ price of _ postage was 1 shilling. But she had no money to pay for _____ letter
- _____ secretary and _____ headmaster of _____ school called _____ meeting of students to discuss _____ urgent matter. _____ meeting considered _ proposal put forward by _____ student for improvement in common room facilities. _____ discussion over held in _____ amicable manner.
- I read _____ Statesman which is _____ very popular newspaper
- Is he _____ European?
- He is _____ boy who stood first last year
- He is _____ officer in _____ army
- _____horse is _____ animal
- He is _____ European but his wife is _____ Indian
Or just 21 left. Let’s do it
- I have _____ bicycle. _____ bicycle has two wheels
- I paid _____ visit to _____ west
- _____ tea of Darjeeling is world famous
- We cross _____ Pacific Ocean in _____ airplane
- _____ headmaster and _ secretary love _ students
- _____ U.A.E is prosperous country
- There was _explosion in _town hall today
- _____Hunter entered _ thick up _____ forest
- There is _____ mother in every woman
- Land is sold here by _____ acre
- The book you want is not in _____ libery
- Replace _____ chair by _____ new one
- I satisfied of _____ truth what you say
- I need some respite from _ heavy work
- He is _____ sticker for punctuality
- He was _____ victim
- I am uneasy about _____ effect of his action
- He died _____ victim to his own folly
- The man is _____ idiot
- He is _____ able man
- I saved him from _____ danger
1.a| 2.a| 3.a| 4.a| 5.an| 6.an| 7.an| 8.a| 9.a| 10.a| 11.an| 12.a| 13.the| 14.the| 15.the| 16.the| 17.the| 18.the/the| 19.a| 20.a| 21.a| 22.a| 23.an| 24.the/the| 25.a| 26.a/a| 27.the| 28.the| 29.a| 30.a/a| 31.the| 32.the| 33.the| 34.a| 35.the/the| 36.the| 37.the/a| 38. The/the| 39.the| 40.the| 41.no article| 42.a/a| 43.the| 44.a/the| 45.the| 46.the| 47.the| 48.a| 49.a|
1.the| 2.the/a| 3.a| 4.a| 5.the| 6.a| 7.a| 8.a| 9.a| 10.a| 11.a| 12.an| 13.an| 14.the| 15.the/an| 16.the| 17.the| 18.an| 19.a/an| 20.a/an| 21.the/the/the/a/the| 22.the/the/an/the/a/an/the| 23.an/a/a/the/a/A/The/the| 24.the/the/the/a/an/the/the/the/the/an| 25.the/a| 26.a| 27.the| 28.an/the| 29.an| 30.a/an|
1.a/the| 2.a/the| 3.the| 4.the/an| 5.the/the/the| 36.The| 7.an/the| 8.the/the/the| 9.a| 10.the| 11.the/the| 12.the/a| 13.the| 14.the| 15.the| 16.a| 17.a| 18.the| 19.a| 20.an| 21.an|
Hope you like my article. If this is helpful for you do share it with your friends because sharing is caring. Cheers.
References [External Links]:
- Articles: A Complete Grammar Guide | Grammarly
- Rules of Using Articles with Examples | Learn English
More from English Compositions
- Adjective in English Grammar with Examples [PDF]
- Parts of Speech in English Grammar with Examples [PDF]
- 100+ Flowers Name in English and Hindi [With Picture]
- Verb in English Grammar with Examples [PDF]
- Noun in English Grammar with Examples [With PDF]
- Adverb in English Grammar with Examples [PDF]